Labor Certification / PERM

When a U.S. employer wants to obtain a green card on behalf of a foreign employee, most employers will have to go through the labor certification / PERM process. The process is meant to ensure that all available U.S. workers have a chance at the job before the green card process starts on behalf of the foreign employee. Advertisements are placed in required spots (newspaper, websites, company website etc.), there is a recruitment period, and the recruitment results are submitted to the U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) via the PERM process.